Are Shih Tzu Expensive?
Shih Tzu does not belong in the top ten most expensive dog breeds, whose price ranges are $8000 to $14000. Even so, getting a Shih Tzu for $500 at the least cannot be considered cheap. If you vie for a female purebred Shih Tzu with rare coat color, you will have to shell out as high as $4000.
Taking care of it would also need extra expenses. These include grooming, diet, health checks, training, and dog walkers or daycare. Should you decide to buy a Shih Tzu, bear in mind that it starts your expenses. It is estimated to have a yearly budget of $600 to $1000 to maintain a Shih, Tzu.
Why Do Shih Tzu Cost So Much?
Breeders put a lot of money into the breeding program. They do this to ensure producing healthy and high-quality litter. A breeder would most likely have five to seven adults, which they also maintain at a price.
Another factor is brachycephalic and toy breeds are prone to difficulties during delivery. Veterinary fees arising from birth complications add up to the price tag.
How Much Are Shih Tzu Dogs?
Several factors contribute to the Shih Tzu’s value:
- Location: The law of supply and demand plays a role. Shih Tzu’s cost would be low in places with more breeders. Price would range from $500 to $700.
- Breeder Reputation: Purebred parents and show-quality dogs will be on the higher end of the price spectrum.
- Kennel Club Registration: The AKC (American Kennel Club) offers the most expensive option. It would typically range around $1200.
- Gender: Female Shih Tzu puppies usually cost more than male puppies.
- Purpose of Buying: Price points will change if you buy a Shih Tzu for a family pet, a potential show contestant, or a breeding dog.
- Color of Coat: More popular ones are more expensive depending on the coat color trends. For purebred Shih Tzu, specific colors and combinations (accepted by kennel clubs) would also be on the higher range of prices. The same is true for rare coat colors.
- Bloodline: Purebred Shih Tzu (both parents are certified to be purebred) is more costly.
How Much Does a Male Shih Tzu Cost?
A male Shih Tzu would cost less than a female Shih Tzu. Its price ranges from $1200 to $3000. Factors such as bloodline, age, location, and reputable breeder affect the final price.
How Much Does a Female Shih Tzu Cost?
Female Shih Tzu costs higher than male Shih Tzu. You can buy one for $1300 to $4000. Like the male Shih Tzu, certain factors affect the final price.
Female dogs have the breeding potential. They are usually appraised greater than males.
How Much Is a Purebred Shih Tzu?
A purebred Shih Tzu costs at least $1200. Make sure to get it from a reputable breeder who is a member of the American Kennel Club. Any puppy from a registered breeding program is always health-tested.
Shih Tzu hailing from purebred champion bloodlines will be more expensive. Expect to pay at least $3000 for these.
What Should I Look for in a Shih Tzu?
Learn if a Shih Tzu is purebred by taking it to the vet for a test or checking its pedigree papers. Your vet can give your dog a DNA test. However, this test would not tell if your dog is purebred or not. It would trace its lineage and identify its parents.
If you bought your puppy from a reputable breeder, pedigree papers should come with it. Essentially, a pedigree is your dog’s birth certificate. It shows at least a three-generation family tree. The documents would show whether or not your dog is purebred.
Learn more about this breed and keenly observe the puppy or dog you are about to get. By doing these, you can figure out if it is purebred or not. Look closely at these characteristics:
- Size: They should weigh between 9 and 16 pounds (4.0 and 7.3 kg). Their height should only be within eight to eleven inches (20 to 28 cm).
- Tail: Purebred Shih Tzu have curved tails. These tails curl around their back. They are tall and have a lot of fur.
- Ears: Their ears are floppy and not sticking out. Resting on the side of their heads, these ears are large and heavily coated.
- Eyes: Shih Tzu have large, round, expressive eyes. These are usually very dark, with a reasonable distance apart.
- Nose: Like all brachycephalic breeds, Shih Tzu have squashed noses with wide nostrils.
- Tongue: Their tongue is long and pink and often hangs out of their mouths.
- Coat: Shih Tzu’s coat can be any color. Most of them have two shades, but there are also tricolored and solid-colored ones. Some colors are rarer than others. They also have double coats. It means that their coats have double layers.
- Temperament: They are playful, outgoing, and highly excitable.
Where Can I Find a Shih Tzu?
Ensure getting a quality puppy. Find established and reputable breeders around your area. Kennel clubs provide information to the public. They also connect you to registered breeders to ensure that you get a quality puppy.
Some shelters and rescues offer the adoption of dogs. If you are all set at adopting this particular breed, be patient. There is no guarantee that a Shih Tzu will be available in your local shelter. What you can do is find a rescue or shelter that caters explicitly to Shih Tzu and other small dogs.
Can You Adopt a Shih Tzu?
If you want to own a Shih Tzu but you’re on a budget, an adoption is a good option. Dedicated shelters and rescues find forever homes for these adorable dogs.
Where Can I Adopt a Shih Tzu?
If you are particularly looking to adopt a Shih Tzu, visit your local shelter and rescue. You might be lucky to find a Shih Tzu available for adoption.
Otherwise, Shit Tzu rescues and shelters cater to small and medium-sized dogs. Examples are the Shit Tzu Rescue, Inc. in South Florida, Tzu Zoo Rescue in Texas, and Shih Tzu Rescue in Minnesota. There is a high probability that you will find your future Shih Tzu puppy or dog there.
How Much Does It Cost to Adopt a Shih Tzu?
Shelters charge around $300 for Shih Tzu adoption. The fee will cover the expenses it has incurred before the adoption.
How Much Is a Rescue Shih Tzu?
A Shih Tzu puppy from the rescue will cost around $350. It is a good price point since the dog has healthcare already. Most rescues allow adoption if the puppies have been vaccinated, dewormed, and microchipped.
Should I Buy a Shih Tzu?
The decision is entirely up to you. If you are looking for an adorable dog with a high energy level, then the Shih Tzu is right for you.
Deciding to buy gives you the power to choose your preferences (its age, color of coat, gender, and other factors). On the other hand, the cost is less if you adopt, but this option gives you fewer chances to specify your desires.
Whether you decide to buy or adopt, the Shih Tzu will be worth it. This affectionate and loyal breed will love you from the bottom of their hearts. They will give delight to your family for as long as it lives.